Different Baby Talk Stages for Parents to Understand When do Babies Start to Talk
It’s a thrilling moment for parents to listen to baby’s first words after months of baby babble. It is a child development process but step by step help on when do babies start to talk, will help you understand when to expect and what from the baby.
No matter what would be your baby’s first word – ‘da-da’, ‘pa-pa’, ‘ma-ma’ or ‘de-de’, researches have proven that continuous talking to babies in a clear, soft slow tone surely help babies start to talk early. However, every baby is different and has its own pace of development so we cannot generalize this.
Baby Talk Milestones: When do Babies Start to Speak
Following are different baby talk stages to make a note of: –
- At 3 months of age: – Babies listen to the sounds around and notice the face expression and lip movements.
- At 6 months of age: – Babies start to babble different sounds like ‘da-da’, ‘ba-ba’, ‘aah’ and towards the end of 7 th month, they start to recognize their names and tone of voice.
- At 9 months of age: – Babies start to understand few basic words like ‘bye’ and ‘no‘ and make a lot of different sounds.
- At 12-18 months of age: – At this age babies start to talk and say simpler words like ‘mama’, dadda’ and towards the end of 18th month they start to point at objects with the names, call people around by names they hear them being called by.
- At 2 years of age: – Babies start to form short sentences joining few words like – ‘bye-mama’, ‘ok-tata’, ‘de-de’.
- At 3 years of age: – The basic vocabulary by this age in kids grow and they start to speak an abstract language.
There are additional tips described in the article How to Help your Baby Talk which will further help answer your question on when do babies start to talk and how you can help in this process.